Tuesday 18 March 2014

Booooo to sleepless nights

Another week has passed by..
Last week was a pretty crummy week for us. Hayden had a lot of stomach cramps and constipation from her last dose of the Vincristine (chemo). We had plenty of sleepless nights, causing mommy to do a lot of over thinking and worrying.  Finally this past friday I sat down with our social worker (Jessica), and Hayden's oncologist and had a cry. It has been 2 and a half months since Hayden has been diagnosed, and although at the beginning I cried almost daily, I felt like I had finally hit the big wall and needed to talk to someone. They both reassured me that Hayden is doing well in her treatment this far, and that its ok to have the feelings I've been having. I decided that it's finally time for me to sit down with a therapist (that is supplied to us through the hospital), and to figure out better ways to deal with all that is going on, and to find better ways to cope with all of this. I'm looking forward to talking to someone who doesn't know myself or Hayden, and will tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear.  I can honestly tell you that I truly wish for no parent to ever have to go through this emotional roller coaster!
After my chat with the doctor, we found out that Hayden's counts were good except her neutrophils were still too low, and that we'd have to wait for them to come up a little bit. Neutrophils are the infection fighting cells in our body, and because of the chemo they got knocked right down to zero. In order to continue on in chemo treatments she has to have a count of at least .75 - so we got sent home. This can be normal too. They want her counts to get knocked down with certain chemo's (so she's doing ok), but now we want them to come back up enough to continue. If we did treatment and her "neuts" weren't high enough it would cause Hayden more damage then it would benefit her. So please - pray for higher neutrophils for Hayden! We want to continue on sooner then later!! Cross anything crossable for us!!
I wanted to throw this out there to anyone that is maybe interested...
Jon and I are joining our family in Wallaceburg on May 30th for the Relay for Life walk!  We are looking for people to sponsor us!  Every little amount given goes towards cancer research, and although our team name is Team Hayden, we will also be walking for everyone in our life that in some way has dealt or is dealing with this disgusting disease.  If you wish to sponsor us, it's pretty easy.  You go to www.relayforlife.ca then click on make a donation. You click on pledge a participant or team and you can either donate to our team directly (Team Hayden), or you can sponsor us individually (Lindsay Foulon or Jonathan Foulon).. it all goes to the same place!  Thank you in advance to those able to help us out!!
That's all for tonight. The Leafs just lost to the Red Wings.. so it's time for bed.  Hope you are all doing well, keep our little fighter in your nightly prayers and daily thoughts! She's worth it.. I promise :-)

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you are reaching out for yourself. Cannot imagine the worry, fear and stress you are going through. Hugs to you and your sweet girl!!!

    ReplyDelete