Friday 24 January 2014

Back to the hospital we go!

So on Tuesday morning when Hayden woke up, I noticed she seemed a little more "blah" then normal but figured going through Leukemia treatments she was entitled to have a blah day every now and then. She snuggled on my lap for majority of the morning and didn't want to be put down, so I started to get a feeling that something was up. I checked her temperature and it was 37.1, which is the higest its been at home up until that point. I didn't panic because it wasn't to the point yet where I needed to call our nurse case manager Julie, so I decided that maybe it was that temperature because we were snuggled under her blanket.  I asked her if she wanted to go have a nap, she said yes! So I took her to lay down and about 30 mins later I could still hear her in the monitor, but her breathing was kinda getting quick so I thought i'd go check her temp again, this time it was 37.6 so I tried my hands at paging Julie to see what she thought. Of course, I suck at paging her because it didn't work. So when I called her about 30 mins later she asked me to check her again and her temp was 38.0 - panic was starting to set it.
We were instructed to bring her in to have her checked out. I was so angry because she hadn't even been home for a full week yet, and here we were bringing her back up to the hospital!
As soon as we got here, they immediately put her on 2 antibiotics. When they checked her temp it was 38.3, so there was definitely something going on. They have done numerous tests, an abdominal and chest x-ray, and what they have so far come up with is that she had a common cold. I'm not even kidding - a cold brought us in.  I quarantined that kid to the best of my abilities, and she still caught a cold!! The doctor said she may have still had traces of it when we left last time, but who really knows where she caught it from.  So I have officially jumped ship to team "yay for summer!". This cold and flu season is a real pain in the arse for someone who literally has no immune system!
They also thought that she may have had a UTI, but whatever was in her urine sample has somehow disappeared! She's also extremely backed up, so they have her on a laxative to hopefully get her moving and make her a little less uncomfortable!
All of her blood work came back negative (yay), and none of her culture samples grew anything (yay), so they have to finish the antibiotics because we can go home. Her counts are on the rise too, so they were very happy with how she's doing.  My guess is we will be here all weekend .. boo! But hey, i'm kinda getting used to this place :-)  I actually counted, and we have slept more days in the hospital this year then we have in our own beds.. ugh. Oh well! I'm just going to have to start figuring out a trick to making the hospital couch/bed a little more comfy!
Hayden got her bravery beads today too! Each time kids come in for a treatment of some type, no matter the situation, they can get a bead for a necklace! She officially has 9 beads so far! What a great idea for a keep sake of everything she has to go through! She gets a bead for a poke of a needle, or a round of chemo, or an x-ray.. you get the idea!
Hayden has gained a whole bunch of weight (no number to be exact), and went from being my skinny mini 2 weeks ago, to being my beautiful plump sweetheart! I'm not kidding.. the steroid has made her face very chubby and her belly very round.. and it's only going to get bigger while she's on the steroid (which is only a few more weeks).  She's also pulling her hair out, and continuing to give me daily panic attacks because of it. I don't think i'm ever going to get used to that until it's all out. They said alot of other moms have cut their kids hair off so it can't upset them so much (the mom that is), but I can't do that.. i'd cry the whole time!
She still battles her nurses daily when they check her vitals, she points at her food constantly, has melt downs almost hourly, but she still continues to make me smile from ear to ear. I'm so proud of Hayden for having to deal with all of this, but she's dealing with it all extremely well!
I want to give a huge thank you to a few people..
To my dear friends and family who purchased and are selling bracelets (there are too many people to list here, but you know who you are) for #goteamhayden, to my Sister in law Brianne for organizing the design and sales of t-shirts, to the Mount Forest Patriots executive (especially Michelle Matheson, Patty and Rick Sinnamon, and Pamela Zmija) for having a benefit night for Hayden on Feb 1st as they start their playoff rounds, to Mark and Andrea McGonigle and staff at Fitzrays restaurant in London for having a benefit for Hayden on Feb 16th, to the RBC bank in wallaceburg for setting up a donation jar for Hayden, to all of the people who have donated generously to us, to all of the people who have showered our little girl with the sweetest gifts, to all of the people who have donated blood and got their flu shots so they can be around Hayden safely, to those who have visited us at the hospital and home,  to the constant support and prayers being sent daily for our Miss H.. I know I have thanked you all many times, and will continue to do so throughout this.. but we truly feel blessed to have you all on Hayden's side during this rollercoaster ride, it's only been 2.5 weeks and already we feel extremely blessed, so we thank you all!!  Don't stop praying for this sweet girl.. the power of positive vibes and prayers do wonders for Hayden :-)
I don't have any recent pictures to share with you today, but I promise to have one in the next blog. Maybe I'll do a side by side picture of when I had her in emerge when this all started, to a recent picture of her.. you'll be amazed at what the steroids do to a toddler!!
Have a great night everyone! Thanks for continuing to follow our journey!
xo

2 comments:

  1. More hugs to you and your sweet Hayden. We (Patriots executive) are truly happy we can do something to offer support for your girl and to help in any way we can. Thinking many positive thoughts and prayers XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay,
    You don't know me but I saw your story on Facebook and have been following your blog since. I am touched by this because my cousin also had (ALL) and I spent a lot of time with her during her illness. She was the same age as your daughter when she was diagnosed and is now 19, healthy and beautiful. My thoughts and prayers will continue for you and your daughter as I follow your blog.
    Sincerely,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete