Saturday 11 January 2014

Our faith in humanity is restored.

So yesterday was kind of an off day for us. Jon and I met with our Nurse Practioner and she went over EVERYTHING with us. From how to read charts, to knowing blood counts, what phone numbers to call when we think we need help, and helping mommy calm down whenever I think about taking Hayden home without all of the doctors and nurses around (and apparently she tells me I don't have to bubble wrap her..I still might though :p). I'm having a daily panic attack that i'm going to not notice something when I should, or not watch her when she falls and hurts herself, or that i'm not going to brush her teeth well enough (one of the drugs she's going to be on apparently can cause mouth sores in some patients). Although i'm slightly crazy when I think about it.. I just want her to be home in her own element, with her own toys, and in her own bed.
Today she had another round of chemo, and again.. took it like the champ she is! We're told that this med she took in the future rounds can cause hives or rashes... seriously, nothing is simple when it comes to treatment!  Aunt Brenda sat with her and watched Bubble Guppies on the iPad for a good portion of the treatment, while Aunt Leah, Uncle Cody and myself went for lunch in the cafeteria. She didn't sleep very much today, but you couldn't tell by the amount of energy she had this evening when she had a dance party with mommy and aunt Brianne! She danced with her teddy bear around and round.. it was pretty darn cute!! If I could post videos of it you'd know exactly what I was talking about.
In a previous post, I mentioned a little boy named Joey that has the same type of Leukemia that Hayden has. He was in here because he spiked a fever while at home, and they needed to make sure it broke in order to resume treatments. Joey got to finally go home with his daddy today after what i'm sure seemed like forever!!! Before they left, him and his dad Scott stopped by to say goodbye. They told us if we ever need to talk about what's going on, or just to touch base that we could be in contact. He then handed me an envelope. Inside the envelope was a very generous gift to the 3 of us, and all he said to me was that everyone was so kind to him, and he never knew how to thank anyone for their kindness, so he was paying it forward. To that dear kind man.. You are one of the strongest people I've ever met. You have proven to your boys that you are their rock and always will be. Everyday you get up you're ready for whatever the day has in store for you, and for that you will always be our hero. Thank you for your kindness when we felt lost and confused. I'm sorry that our kids have to go through this, but it's comforting knowing that we can talk to you about our fears with this disease knowing that you likely had them at some point too.. and have conquered them.  Your boys are so lucky to have such an amazing role model to look up to. You have reminded us that there are kind people still out there, and we promise you that we also will pay it forward. #Joeystrong
Hayden is in her sweet dreams right now, and Aunt Brianne and I are watching Horrible Bosses! Here's wishing everyone a great weekend!
More tomorrow..
xo

2 comments:

  1. As awful as this disease is, it's certainly exposing all of us to the absolute best of humanity. When push comes to shove, there are so many caring and thoughtful people out there willing to help however they can, and it truly warms my heart. Love to you guys, and to Joey and his family....I think you're ALL amazing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia, Mikaela and David send their love to Hayden! David just loves Hayden, he would light up every time he saw her! I look forward to the day when they can all play together again :-)

    ReplyDelete