Thursday 9 January 2014

Well it's only day 2 of Hayden's chemo treatment, but she's already showing us the amazing little trooper that she is.  She smiles non stop, is now being way more social with the nurses then she was before, is eating like a trooper, drinking as much as she can, and peeing like there is NO tomorrow. Seriously, they are pumping this girl FULL of IV so when we change her bum every 2 hours it's saturated and sometimes soaked out to her clothes. Luckily daddy brought us more pj's tonight!
So today we were told it would be our break day, but it unfortunately wasn't. She had to go have an "echograph" (not sure if I said that right), and an EKG done today. Both apparently looked good once they were finished. It took 3 tries to do the EKG. The first 2 techs that came to try failed miserably to win hayden's love and had to come back later.. what can we say... she knows what she wants just like all girls!! Turns out all it took was turning the wiggles on for a few minutes and it was done! Our tech Travis should give the other techs that [previously tried that tip for future cranky kids!!
This morning I had a brief meeting with our social worker. She is truly amazing. She informs us on all of the "benefits" Hayden will recieve and the assistance that will become available to Jon and I when it comes to parking, gas, and food vouchers. It's not huge, but it's definitely appreciated!!
I was informed that there are people out there that donate their cottages to the Canadian Cancer Society, so families can enjoy a mini summer vacation once their treatments are over.. pretty cool I thought!        
Oh wait, it gets better..
They told me that there is a day at canada's wonderland every year where kids who have had or have childhood cancer get a day away! They get a lot of free stuff, and they can line skip! Hayden's obviously too little to go there, but she will definitely reap the benefits when she's bigger!! Also, she can go to any of the kids camps that she would like when she's older!
And the coolest part of the meeting today..
Hayden is going to be granted a wish :-)
I'm supposed to be doing my research on which organization I'd like to have do it for her, and the only rule is that she must be 3 years old to have it granted. So we have a little wait, but that gives her lots of time to decide what she wants to do. I'm sure if she had her way she'd love to be a Bubble Guppie for a day :-) (for those of you that don't know what that is.. it's her favourite show on treehouse that she goes CRAZY for!!)
So besides all of that, nothing too crazy to report today. I did meet another gentleman who has a little boy going through the same thing Hayden is going through. He's such a handsome little guy with a smile that is going to for sure charm the ladies when he's older :-) I spoke with his daddy today and things have been going pretty good for him, all things considered! Go Joey Go!!! Fight this horrible disease, and kick it right square in the you know what!!!
On a side note.. why do they have to say the word "Cancer"? I hate that word.. it scares the living begeebees out of anyone that has it or knows someone that has it! I wish it was just known as Leukemia.. not that it makes it any better.. but definitely makes it seem less scary.
Hayden and I thank you all for taking time out of your day to read our blog. Once we get home I will post some pictures of our sweet girl so you can see the beautiful smile that we get to see everyday. I love my little girl more then I love my next breath.
Until tomorrow..
xo

7 comments:

  1. I can't say enough how much I love all of you. You 3 are MY heroes. I've asked my mom to watch over Hayden and you and Jonathan too. I know without a doubt that if she was still here with us she'd be sending her prayers and support. So I'm sending my special angel in heaven to watch over your adorable angel here. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading your blog Linds!! You are my inspiration!! And so is Miss Hayden!!
    I was thinking about you the entire time I was at work tonight, and wondered about the make a wish! I am glad that can be done for her!! She deserves it!!!
    Prayers and love to you guys!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. People battling thus awful disease deserve a million wishes. I'm so glad there are so many supports out there to help families through this, and I'll be keeping Hayden AND Joey in my thoughts. Love, love you guys so much. xoxo

    PS. I'm throwing my "wish" vote behind a day with the Biebs or the Toronto Maple Leafs.... I will gladly chaperone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm so glad that Hayden will be able to celebrate her victory for years to come. It is no small thing to kick cancers butt :)
    I think it is lovely that you get some family vacation time too!
    I will be dreaming tonight of all the good there is to come and the family memories that will be made once this stage is over.
    #goteamhayden!
    We are your cheerleaders over here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to hear she is eating and drinking and has adjusted to her new nurse friends!
    I am thinking about you all everyday and keep Hayden in our prayers!!!
    I think its just WONDERFUL how they have the wish for children, our cousins wee one enjoyed a Disney family trip to see all the Princesses - totally made her SO happy and she SO deserved it!!!
    Have fun in selecting what Miss Hayden's wish will be, SO exciting and fun for her (and you guys) to have something fun and exciting to look forward too!
    I completely agree, HATE the C word... with a PASSION!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linds - my friend Tiffany King sent me this message via Facebook....she tried to post it on here but couldn't, so I offered to post it for her:

    Lindsay and family. You don't know me at all but I used to work with Jodie at a government office a few years back; she has always made me laugh. I have just sat at my desk and read your blog from beginning to now (with many tears rolling down my face) I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for this blog and keeping everyone up to speed. I agree with Jodie a million wishes would be good!!! Go team Hayden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bubble guppies is easton's favorite show too great minds think alike. Thinking about you guys everyday, you guys are the strongest family I know and so inspiring.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete