Sunday 19 January 2014

Our little cheesie monster!!

It's been a few days since I've wrote on here, so I'm taking a break from watching the SAG awards to fill you in on our weekend. 
On friday, Hayden had a doctors appt. and all things considered I think it went pretty well! Our doctor wasn't sure if she wanted to do a blood transfusion or not as hayden's hemoglobin was only 82, but I guess because it was close to the weekend she decided to do it so hopefully we wouldn't have any issues.  And so far so good.. well.. kinda.  Earlier in her diagnosis Dr. Zorzi (our oncologist.. and she's amazing!) told us that one of the first medications Hayden was going to be on was Dexamethasone, which is a steroid, and it was going to make her extremely hungry and very VERY irritable. Well, she was right about both! Over the weekend we didn't leave the house, because of course.. i'm a little freaked out about her getting a virus and having us set back in treatment. So, our patience (both hers and ours) ran EXTREMELY thin.  If any of you know Hayden well, you will know that she's not much of an eater, and has a tiny little waist. I can honestly say that after this weekend.. she has probably gained at LEAST 5 lbs from her binge eating. Some might say "Why do you let her eat so much??".. I say if it keeps her happy then it keeps the household happy! And I wish she wanted healthy things! I have tried over and over to give her fruits and veggies, but all the little monster wants is Cheesies and cookies!  I can't say as I blame her.. they're great! But i'm not going to be buying them for a long while.. out of site, out of mind! 
As I said earlier, Hayden's steroid is making her very irritable. One of Hayden's favourite things is her bath time.. but lately she breaths fire when I try putting her in the tub. I know she had a traumatic bath at the hospital, so maybe she's not fully ready to "jump back in" yet. Regardless, she screamed tonight for a good 15 minutes straight.. and if you have ever heard our little monkey scream.. you'd know how ear piercing it was!! I have to constantly remind myself that it's not her doing the screaming.. it's her steroid. Our doctor has promised me that after she's off the steroid she will return to happy Hayden again, and I can't wait! I have to say though, I do love that she wants hugs from us all the time. Hugs are truly the best medicine.. especially the ones that Hayden gives :-) They make those stress headaches go right away!
If you remember, the wednesday before we left to go home Hayden had a lumbar puncture. I asked Dr. Zorzi how it went, and she said that there were no blasts found in it.. which is a good thing! That's not to say that they can't and won't return, but for the time being.. they're not there. Hearing that news made me happy, and made me feel like we got another very small win.. and we will take a win whenever we can get one!
Hayden isn't out of the clear yet, and won't be for quite a long while.. but we again want to thank everyone for the love and support everyone has offered us. I know I say that in most of my blogs, but I will continue to say it over and over again until this horrible road our little girl has to travel on comes to the positive end we hope for!!  We are back at the hospital on Wednesday for her clinic day, so I will write more then.
On a side note.. Hayden's Grandpa Remi got a flu shot this weekend. I don't think he has EVER got one.. but he did it for our little miss H. We sent a picture to grandpa's phone before he went, for some love and encouragement.. I think it helped :-)


2 comments:

  1. We are thinking of you Lindsay and your entire family during this difficult time. Keep being your positive self! Hayden is a little fighter and will get through this!

    Thoughts, prayers and love!
    Chris and Tory Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posts Linds!
    I love being able tokeep up with what's going on with you guys!
    Ben and I want to come for a visit this weekend, how is your Saturday looking?
    Message me on FB or text Ben and we can work something out :)
    Love ya! xox

    ReplyDelete