Wednesday 8 January 2014

The start of our journey offically begins today..

So last night they removed Hayden's IV, which means that from this point on any thing that goes in her body will be done through the port a cath. She will still sometimes have to get blood taken from a needle.. but it will be very slim compared to what she has been having done.
This morning we woke up and went to meet with our doctors so they could let us know how her procedure went yesterday. After doing her lumbar puncture they could see that there was some leukemia cells hiding in her spinal and brain fluid. That only means that when they do the chemo treatment that have to check at the end to make sure those cells aren't there anymore to ensure they don't sneak up on us years from now in full force. And trust me, the last thing we need or want to do is go through this nightmare again.
So our doctor told us that today was the day we would be starting her chemotherapy treatment. My heart sunk, but I knew it was the inevitable and that this is the absolute only way she will get better. My heart breaks into millions of pieces every time I think about my little girl losing her gorgeous curly blonde hair. 
So after her nap this afternoon, our nurse came in and started her on her treatment. It took about 30 minutes for it to be done, and the little monkey sat on the bed and watched treehouse without even a flinch during it all. She also had to take an oral steroid that I got to give to her, and I believe will also be giving to her once we go home in a few weeks. I'm sure it doesn't taste very good, but she didn't fight me. I honestly believe she knows that she has to take it in order to get better. I've read a few other moms blogs about their children who went through this exact same situation, and they say the same thing. She might be a tiny little 22 month old, but this kid is incredibly smart.
So far we haven't noticed anything in regards to side effects, but its still pretty early in her treatment. Our doctor did go over a list of possible side effects, so we are for sure going to be watching her very clearly. She is going to be on a total of 5 different medications through out this journey.
We also got to go on a tour of the Ronald Mcdonald room that is here for parents and family only. Patients aren't allowed in, for obvious reasons. It's actually an incredible room. They have computers set up, a snack bar, a full kitchen that is stocked, 2 bedrooms that can be used to take naps in, a lounge to relax by a fire place and watch some tv, and laundry facilities that are stocked with detergent and fabric softener. As I said in my last post, this hospital is incredible. They have told us to consider them a part of our family, and we are doing just that.
 I can't wait to take her home, where she is happiest.. where her toys are.. where things maybe aren't so scary (for both her and us), and hopefully in 2 weeks we will be doing just that.
 But this little fighter is adapting extremely well to her surroundings, and continues to make all of us extremely proud.
 I'm still having a hard time understanding why this had to happen, but we have the most incredible friends and family that have continued to wow us every minute of the day. My heart broke a few days ago, but little by little they are all piecing it back together for me. We all love each and everyone of you that are reaching out to us in any way you possibly can. I'm not sure how we could ever repay you all for your sincere kindness and generosity, but I promise that one day we will.
Until tomorrow's adventure.. have the sweetest dreams possible (Hayden sure is right now!).
xoxoxo

10 comments:

  1. Sweet dreams Hayden ill be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay you and your sweet Hayden are in our thoughts and prayers everyday!

    Jaz's wee cousin at 23 mths was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in her face, she is now over 4 and has fought SO hard! She starts JK this week. You are SO right, from what we know about Meera and her fight, they are so resilient and although they cannot understand they fight - hard!

    Much love, positive thoughts and prayers for everyday of this journey! Go TEAM Hayden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love you guys....you're in my thoughts every minute of every day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. all our thoughts are with you guys right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I pray for my own little girl, I pray for Hayden and yall. Praying that she is able to have a wonderful night sleep so that her body can be well rested to fight this battle! (Jennifer Gibson on my hubby's acct).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay, I cry every time when I read your post. I am so proud of Hayden, you and Jon. Please also take care of yourself, we will win the battle !

    ReplyDelete
  7. lindsay Im thinking of you and your little Hayden. Im so sorry you are going through this... my thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are thinking and praying for you all day long!
    All of Hayden's daycare friends are asking about her and understand that she is fighting the bug in her blood.
    We love you so much Hayden! So proud of your little fighter!
    Thanks for the updates Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet dreams to ALL of you, rest up wee love. Keep your spirits strong and the body will follow. Glad to hear you are in good surroundings, a little comfort can go a long way. Love to the Foulon Family all the way from Pittsburgh. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am Erika's mother and two times when we were visiting Erika, we got to meet Hayden and the place she loved to sit was on my husband's lap. She just cuddled into him and was quite content to spend her time there. A real grandfather's lap for precious little children. You, your husband and Hayden are in our prayers daily. God Bless you all and praying Jesus' healing hand on Hayden!

    ReplyDelete